Are you struggling with rent or mortgage payments because of COVID? Resources are available to help.

If you rent your home:

If you rent your home and are struggling to pay your rent, Oregon has a statewide eviction moratorium in effect until September 30, 2020. Your landlord cannot give you and cannot file an eviction for nonpayment of rent or no cause until September 30.

In addition, the Legislature has adopted a provision that allows you six months to repay any rent that was due during the moratorium. If you have been unable to pay rent, you will have from October 1, 2020 until March 31, 2021 to either repay any rent due during the emergency period (April 1 – March 31) or seek rental assistance.

You can read more about these protections in these explainers from Oregon Law Center in English or Spanish. You can watch a video about these protections in English or Spanish.

If you need help paying your rent, call 211 Info for information about rental assistance.

If you need legal help, you may be eligible for legal aid services.

If you own your home:

If you own your home, a rental home, a manufactured home or an RV that you live in, Oregon has protections in place which provides temporary relief from mortgage payments and basic protection from foreclosure to homeowners who may be struggling to pay their bills because of COVID. The law provides basic protections until September 30th, although some homeowners may be eligible for additional protections under the federal CARES Act.

 If you have a federally backed mortgage, you may be eligible for additional protection under federal law. This protection can provide temporary relief from mortgage payments during the emergency period. You can find out if you have a federally backed mortgage by reading this fact sheet. Approximately 70% of homeowners nationwide have a federally backed mortgage.

Read more about this protection, and get answers to some frequently asked questions in English or Spanish.  OHCS also has a flyer with basic information in English or Spanish.

Find a housing counselor. A housing counselor can help you understand your options and rights. 

Conocer tus derechos: Propietarios de Casas de Oregón HB 4204: Moratoria de ejecución hipotecaria